In this guide, we will show you how to install running boards for different vehicles, including Jeep Gladiators side steps, Chevrolet Silverado, Ford F150, and others. We will also cover how to install Tundra side steps and power running boards, and others. So, if you’ve ever wondered “how to install running boards”, read on to the end.
Generally, these are footboards that easily get you in and out of your vehicle, especially when it seats high off the ground. But they equally provide a great aesthetic appeal so don’t be surprised when you find them in vehicles that barely need one. Before a lot of forums users were discussed how to install running boards for example for Toyota Tundra, but let’s have a brief overview of running boards again installation.
A running board is an external accessory that serves as a footboard for your vehicle. It provides a stepping surface into and out of your vehicle. Their traditional purpose is safety and convenience because they help in preventing falls and accidental contact with tires.
Vehicles sat high up the ground in the early decades of motoring. As a result of this, some passengers found it difficult stepping up into them. The long dresses worn by most women at the time particularly made it difficult to access or alight from vehicles. These concerns inspired manufacturers to come up with the idea of running boards.
Later models of cars sat lower to the ground, so running boards became a negligible accessory since it was now easier to get in and out of the vehicles. However, these running boards have begun to make another appearance today in vehicles today. Some of them are fixed by manufacturers, while others are customized by car owners.
But as we have noted, running boards are no longer here for practical reasons. Aesthetics is now a great part of its job description. However, trucks and larger sport utility vehicles often still make use of running boards as practicality.
The modern designs of running boards are most commonly made of chrome or fiberglass. Full-size trucks are often seen with chrome running boards, but those fixed on cars with a custom paint job are usually made of fiberglass and are painted to match.
That said, let’s take a look at how to install running boards for different car brands.
There are many products available in the market that you can choose from. The top of the list is arguably Tyger Auto TG-AM2T20208. Tyger products are renowned for their good quality and durability, and this running board product is not an exception. This product has all the features necessary for a running board. They are made of sturdy materials and have an outer surface texture that prevents slipping off the boards.
This running board product usually comes with clear and simple instructions. You can also check their website for additional instructions.
Below are the steps on how to install Toyota Tundra running boards:
- Locate the mounting holes on your vehicle’s rocker panel.
- Beginning from the front driver’s side, attach the front bracket with provided hardware.
- Repeat Process for the center and rear brackets.
- Place the running board on the brackets. Make sure running board bolts align with bracket slots.
- Feed bolts through slots on brackets. Perform this step on each set of brackets.
- Next on how to install Toyota Tundra running boards, attach the board to the brackets with provided hardware. Leave finger-tight at first for ease of adjustment before final tightening.
- Once satisfied with the board’s position, tighten the bracket and board bolts down.
- Repeat these steps on the passenger’s side of the vehicle. That’s how to install Toyota Tundra running boards using Tyga Auto running boards.
Chevrolet Silverado is a full-size pickup truck, and it may be a challenge to get into the truck, especially when it’s wet, slippery, or if the truck is lifted. Hence, you need a running board. There are varieties of suitable products out there, and settling for one might be quite overwhelming.
Dee Zee running boards are one of the best options in the market. Dee Zee has a wide variety of sizes and finishes to accommodate any type of Chevrolet Silverado. They usually do not require additional drilling, and this makes installation simple and easy for DIY-ers.
Here’s to install Silverado running boards:
- Using a straight blade screwdriver, pry the plastic caps out of the attachment holes in the rocker panel of your vehicle. These holes are located at different points on the rocker panel, depending on the cab type.
- Attach a bracket to each of the Driver’s side locations where the plugs were removed in step 1 using two hex head bolts at each location. Do not completely tighten yet.
- Attach the running board to the braces. Move the bolts attached in the channels of the board so that they are in the slots of the brackets. Attach the hex nuts using a ratchet or wrench to the bolts once they are through the slot. Do not completely tighten yet. Repeat this on the other side. And that is how to install Silverado running boards.
- Adjust the board up and down as necessary. Once the board is in the desired location up and down, tighten the SEMS bolts that connect the braces to the truck. Repeat for the other side.
We will discuss how to install Ford F150 running boards using The GoRhino running boards. This product fit well on Ford trucks. The zinc-coated steel they are made of makes them both resistant to corrosion and tough enough to support a lot of weight. The stepping surface is perforated to prevent mud, ice, or snow from accumulating, making them safe to use even in inclement weather conditions. However, they could be pricey.
GoRhino running boards are easy to install. The boards come together with the installation hardware. This pack includes brackets, hex head bolts, different sizes of flat washers, lock washers, and hex nuts. Read the assembly and installation instructions completely and verify that all of the parts listed are accounted for.
The steps below will guide you on how to install the ford f150 running boards with ease.
First, get ready your tools: ½” socket/wrench, 13mm socket/wrench, ratchet, and extension.
- Locate at the front, middle, and rear of the rocker panel the threaded studs. Rocker panels are located along the sides of the vehicle between the front and rear wheel well openings, just below the doors.
- Place the bracket on the threaded studs and attach it with a 5/16″ flat and lock washer, M8 hex nut, by each threaded stud.
- Place the U bracket and attach with: 5/16″ hex head bolt, 5/16″ flat and lock washer, by each bracket.
- Lastly on how to install Ford F150 running boards, align the sidebar and then tighten all bolts. Periodically check your product because it may need a re-tighten of bolts.